January 18, 2012

Prenatal Massage

Last week I told you how frumpy I was feeling.  A change in hair is always something that gives me a little boost but one of the best things that I do for MYSELF is getting regular massages.  I've been going to Lynn Barnett in Forrest for several years.  Most of the time I make my appointments 5 weeks apart but when I'm pregnant I step it up to every 3 weeks.  I first started seeing her as a recommendation from my neurologist and it was the best thing I ever did!  I can tell about a week before my appointment that it is time to go again and it has made me much more aware of my body and whats going on - knowing what massage does for me. 

And its a lifesaver while I'm pregnant.  Not only does it help with my headaches but also with backpain.  Chatting with Lynn for an hour is an added bonus.  When I went last week I used the "belly pillow" for the first time this pregnancy and it felt WONDERFUL to be able to lay on my tummy.  I also love when she massages my belly - it really used to get Asher going!  When I left her house I grabbed a couple of pamplets on prenatal massage so I could give you more information than just my opinion :)

Benefits of Massage During Pregnancy - relieves:
  • Lower back pain
  • Swelling of hands and feet
  • Headaches
  • Calf Cramps
  • Insomnia
  • Sciatic Pain
  • Sinus Congestion

Now this also recommended that you recieve a massage once a week during the second trimester and twice a week during the third.  I think thats a little overkill - every 3 weeks seems to work well for me.  So whether you are pregnant or not I think its something that everyone should do to take a little time for themselves.

And her rates in case you were interested:
1 hour - $40.00
1/2 hour - $20.00
815.657.8619



1 comment:

Carlee Gerber said...

Lynn is AMAZING!!! Love her! Best thing to do especially during pregnancy!