September 12, 2011

Freezer to Crock Pot


So, in case you were wondering about those freezer to crock pot meals I made last week here are the recipes.

Chicken Ropa Vieja
2 Boneless chicken breasts
1 tomato
2 sm onions
1 green pepper
Garlic
1 pkg of taco seasoning
1/2 c tomato sauce

Put the chicken, tomato, 1 diced onion, garlic & taco seasoning in gallon freezer bag.  Freeze. 
When it comes time to make it thaw it out the night before.  Dump the contents of the bag in the crock pot and cover with water.  Cook on high 4 hours or low for 8.  When it is done cooking remove the chicken and shred.  Cut up your green pepper & other onion and saute in olive oil until tender.  Add chicken, 1/2 c tomato sauce and 1 cup of cooking liquid from crock pot to the peppers and onions.  Cook on medium for 10-15 mins.

We actually did eat this one the other night.  I served it with Zatarans Spanish rice.  I thought it was really good, but Dustin doesn't like chicken so he wasn't thrilled.  I thought it had really good flavor and I knew Dustin wouldn't eat just shredded chicken so he put it on flour tortillas.  Add some sour cream and I thought they were pretty yummy!

Chicken Enchiladas
 1 lb chicken breasts
2 15oz cans of Enchilada sauce (I used green sauce cuz I like it better)
4 oz can of green chilies
flour tortillas
shredded mexican cheese
sour cream

I put the chicken, enchilada sauce and green chilies in gallon freezer bag.  Freeze!
When it comes time to cook thaw out the bag and dump it in the crock pot.  Cook for 8 hrs on low.  When it's done shred the chicken.  Put 1 cup of the juices in the bottom of a 9x13.  Roll chicken mixture in flour tortillas and place in pan.  Cover them with the rest of the juice then shredded cheese.  Cover and bake at 350 for 20 mins.  Then uncover and bake 5 more minutes.

**I made this one but have not tried it yet.

Janet's Farmer's Pie (this is not for crock pot but I did make & freeze it in a foil pan)
13 oz can of chicken
1/2 c fried onions
1 can cream of chicken
1 can green beans
3-4 cups mashed potatoes (I used the ready-made Bob Evans)
1/2 c shredded cheese

Combine chicken, Cream of Chicken, Fried Onions & green beans.  Pour into small cassarole and cover with mashed potatoes. (at this point I put them in a foil pan and froze)  Cook at 350 for 20 minutes.  Cover with cheese and bake 10 minutes more.

Crock Pot Banana Bread
1 3/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 c butter
2/3 c sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 T dark corn syrup
3 ripe bananas, mashed

Grease & flour crock pot.  Mix dry ingredients together & set aside.  Cream butter with mixer.  Slowly add sugar, eggs, syrup & bananas.  Beat until smooth then add dry ingredients.  Pour into crock pot, cover and cook on high for 1.5-2 hours.  Let cook & invert on platter.

I made this and it was really pretty good.  My CP seems to cook really hot so I went with the 1.5 hours and still burned the edges so keep an eye on it.  I just shaved off the "over done" part and it was fine.





No comments: